Everything You Need To Know About Urinary Tract Infections
More than 10 million people suffer every year, many without even knowing about it.
Urinary tract infections occur when harmful bacterias enter your urinary tract leading to constant irritation, painful urination, the urge to pee all the time (even when your bladder is empty), foul smelling urine, period like pain & cramping. Oh, and an overall general sense of misery. While some UTIs resolve on their own, untreated infections can get worse & spread to your kidneys. So one might have to complete their course of prescribed antibiotics even when all they wish for is to damn those UTI causing bacterias straight to hell.
Urinalysis and dipstick tests are the accurate answers to diagnosing a UTI, but common symptoms for the same include:
- A strong, persistent urge to urinate
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
- Urine that appears cloudy
- Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored (a sign of blood in the urine)
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain, in women (especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone)
UT-Why? : Causes
Both men and women can get UTIs, however, they’re most common in women (around 50–60% of women will experience a UTI in their lifetime).
Treatment & Self-Care
Treatment of urinary tract infections depends on the cause. There are two types of UTIs: simple and complicated. Simple UTIs can be treated with antibiotics for a short period of time. Complicated UTIs are when bacteria causing the infection cannot be treated by various antibiotics. While most women have simple UTIs, men and children tend to have complicated UTIs. In addition to antibiotics, some self-care steps include:
- Drinking plenty of fluids : being hydrated will help you flush out bad bacteria
- Increasing your vitamin C intake : vitamin C provides you with the immunity to fight with these bacteria.
- Taking a probiotic : this will help your body regulate the good bacteria in your body
- Drinking unsweetened cranberry juice : cranberry juice will get rid of the bad bacteria in your body