health

Urine Analysis for Genius Dummies, Who Care About Their Health And Well Being

2021-06-01 | Aradhya Giri

Healthy Urine = Healthy You. A Fact or Fad? Let’s Find Out.

Has it ever occurred to you that urine tests might have to do with more than just pregnancy tests and sugar? Of course not, you have better things to do in life than to think about pee and it’s constituents. Well, what if I were to tell you, that you could know all about what’s going on inside your body by just the smell and the colour, or even the amount of urine you pass out. Gross, I know, but also really insightful. When you take a closer look, it gets really simple...
More than 2.5 litres in 24 hours?Diabetes.
Yellowish brown or greenish in colour?A malfunctioning liver.
Fruity in odour?Presence of Ketones.
It’s right there in front of us, and we never even give it a second thought. So if we could know so much just by the physical aspect of it, think about how many more parameters a deeper analysis would unravel...
So to answer my own question at the beginning, “Healthy Urine = Healthy You” checks out to be perfectly accurate.

Organs at Work

Kidneys are responsible for making approximately 1 – 1.5 litres of urine everyday, they filter about 125ml of blood per minute. Usually, 99% of blood filtrate is reabsorbed while the remaining 1% is filtered out and it mainly consists of ammonia, urea, uric acid, K+ & H+ ions, etc. Urine formation is the body’s way of detoxing and the toxins it emits out, says a lot about where it came from.

What is Urine Analysis and What does it do?

Urine

Urine Analysis

It’s the physical, chemical and microscopic examination of urine. It involves a number of tests to detect and measure various compounds that pass through the urine. Under pathological conditions, your urine shows the presence of abnormal constituents along with normal constituents. Urine analysis of a seemingly healthy individual could be a gateway to prevention of any borderline diseases they might be at risk of inheriting.
Profiling of individual organs like the liver can be done using just a urine sample, non-invasive and harmless unlike a blood test. It can also:

parameters

    Colour
  • Clarity/Turbidity
  • Acidity/Alkalinity
  • Specific Gravity
  • Glucose
  • Ketones
  • Nitrates
  • Bilirubin
  • Protein
  • Bacteria
  • RBC’s
  • WBC’s
  • Ascorbic Acid
  • Urobilinogen
  • And various other factors
These parameters act like a trail of clues for a medical practitioner to get to the root cause of a disease or even better, in preventing a disease. So the next time you overlook or underestimate a urine test, you don’t.

Comments (1)

  • sakshi | 2021-08-09
    Insightful article
Comment posted!
Try Again!

Leave a comment

Post Comment

🔒 We won't post your email ID